A free online resource crammed with advice about choosing Unique baby names...
Unique Baby Names - The Appeal
Appeal to those who have strong individualist streaks. A Unique name is chosen by people who wish to get away from fashionable trends.
Dictionary Definition of 'unique'
Being the only one (Sole) or Being without a like or equal. Only, single, alone, exceptional.
What else we want when searching for a Unique Baby Name
Not everyone wants a completely 'one-off' title. The Individualists amongst us are also looking for a name that is unusual, that everyone will like but nobody has! The Individualists view is that they have created the baby so they should also create the baby's name.
Unique Baby Boy Names
Unique Baby Girl Names
The Reasons why more people are looking for a unique baby name
There is a definite trend towards people choosing something unique. The first reason for this is that our surroundings are becoming too similar. No matter where a person lives there are the same chains of stores and fast food outlets - we want to set ourselves and our children apart. Society is much less formal than it used to be. We use our First name more often than surnames now and these have become increasingly important in terms of a person's identity. And, believe it or not, the Internet is having an effect! This very website allows people to search for the most popular and conversely the most unusual, or unique baby names. And finally the world around us is changing fast. Unique and unusual spellings are becoming totally acceptable in our society just think about the unique, sometimes weird names, that are being by bands and companies! The emergence of the Internet and Mobile phones has lead to the creation and total acceptance of new spellings which have given us a whole new modern dictionary! We have already been told about a baby girl called 'Lol'( text-talk for Lots of Love)
Making a Name for yourself - Originality is the key to creating something that is unique
The best way of finding an original name is to ' Make a name for yourself !' Be Original! Be creative! Invent a unique baby name! Originality is the key
How to create a unique baby name
- Convert existing words. Examples of converting existing words into baby names are Ebony, Nova, Sapphire and Jade.
- Invent new unique names by taking the hybrid approach. Take two existing names and combine the two in an unusual fashion. Use of family Surnames would be a good starting point, not forgetting Maiden and Middle names.
- Unique punctuation - Create a totally unique name by making unusual use of punction such as the placing of an apostrophe, a hyphen or a middle Capital Letter.
- Alternative Spellings - An easy way to create unique baby names. A good example is Ryann or Delyia.
- Convert Place Names - created from the place of birth, for example, Dallas or Brooklyn
- Convert Colour names - created from different colours, for example, Gray or Azure
- Flower names - created from different flowers, for example, Daisy or Columbine
- Characteristic names - created from different characteristics, for example, Patience
- Inspirational names - created from inspirational themes, for example, Hope or Glory
If all the above fail then try to obtain inspiration from the game of Scrabble! Think of names that you know and make use of the word tiles to add new letters or remove existing letters. We hope that we have provided you with the inspiration, together with lots of ideas and easy ways, to create something unusual for your child!
The pitfalls of choosing a unique name
Remember that you are taking full responsibility for creating an important factor in your baby's identity. Selecting a name from the category of 'unique baby names' runs the risk of being faddish and associated with a particular period in time. A unique baby name must be suitable throughout all of life phases ( "A Name isn't just for a birthday - it's for life!"). Consider the phases and our life cycle starting with baby - toddler - school child - teenager - young adults - parents - middle age - retirement and old age. Will the unusual name suit a pensioner as well as a baby? Will the schoolchild be teased mercilessly? And what will your baby think of your choice? Will they thank you for constantly having to repeat and spell their name to people for the rest of their lives? Remember that the name will be widely used so other people must be able to say it and spell it easily. The name should not suggest anything undesirable or silly! Studies undertaken by eminent psychologists suggest that people who have unique or highly unusual names, considered odd by those around them, can experience great difficulties in their normal social relationships.
The choice is yours!
We hope that we have provided you with the inspiration with lots of ideas and easy ways to create unique baby names! And presented a balanced view of the pleasure and the pitfalls of unique baby names. To assist you further we have developed a Name Evaluator - an essential aid when considering an unusual name.