Dictionary Definition of Exotic
Exotic - excitingly or enticingly different or - introduced from another country : not native to the place where found. Other related words - alluring, enticing, fascinating, glamorous, mysterious.
Searching for Exotic Baby Names
The definition clarifies the mind when searching for a name that can be described as ' exotic '. People searching for an Exotic Baby's Name for a girl are usually searching for something that is exciting, alluring, enticing, fascinating, glamorous or mysterious. People searching for an Exotic Name for a Boy are usually searching for something that is introduced from another country.
The Reasons why more people are looking for an Exotic Name
There is a definite trend towards people choosing an Exotic Name. The first reason for this is that our surroundings are becoming too similar. No matter where a person lives there are the same chains of stores and fast food outlets - we want to set ourselves and our children apart. And this can be achieved by choosing exotic baby names. Society is much less formal than it used to be. We use our First name more often than surnames now and a first name has become increasingly important in terms of a person's identity. So think carefully about the way other people might perceive an exotic baby name.
The pitfalls of choosing an Exotic Baby Name
Remember that you are taking full responsibility for creating an important factor in your baby's identity.
- Selecting a name from the category of Exotic Names' runs the risk of being faddish and associated with a particular period in time or a particular country.
- An Exotic name must be suitable throughout all of life phases ( "A Name isn't just for a birthday - it's for life!").
- Consider the phases and our life cycle starting with baby - toddler - school child - teenager - young adults - parents - middle age - retirement and old age.
- Will the Exotic baby name that you have chosen suit a pensioner as well as a baby? Will the schoolchild be teased mercilessly? And what will your child think of your choice? Will they thank you for constantly having to repeat and spell their name to people for the rest of their lives?
- Remember that although the name is Exotic it will be widely used - so other people must be able to say it and spell it easily. The name should not suggest anything undesirable or silly!
- Studies undertaken by eminent psychologists suggest that people who have highly unusual or exotic names, considered odd by those around them, can experience great difficulties in their normal social relationships
Records show that in 2003 the following American name's were recently only given to one baby and can therefore be described as being currently unfashionable. 62% of the people with this type of exotic name are women, confirming that parents are more likely to give their baby girl a unique or exotic name. Some of these exotic and unfashionable names could fall into the category, and pitfalls attached, to giving what some people might consider to be a weird baby boy or girl name. The dictionary definition for weird is ' Of strange or extraordinary character. Odd, mysterious, out of the ordinary, striking or unusual'.