Check out the Baby Name Meanings and the Names Dictionary Sections!
A free online resource crammed with advice about choosing baby names & their origins...
The Origins of First Names
Name origins are infinite!
- Traditional Christian name origins stem from the Bible and are common across many countries. These Christian first names derive from various languages including Hebrew, Greek and Latin. The Romans conquered the known Western world and first names which derived from Celtic, Germanic or Slavic languages are also, therefore, included in this category of name origin.
- Muslim name are derived from the Koran and Arabic and Persian languages
- Indian name stem from Sanskrit the Indian language
- Hindu name are derived from the Hinduism
- Chinese name stem from Buddhism, Confucianism and Daoism and famous figures from the various dynasties
- Japanese name stem from Buddhism using Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji texts.
- African name origins are derived from African tribal religions, Islam, Muslim or Christianity using Afrikaans, Arabic, Hausa, Swahili, Yoruba, Xhosa, Zulu and European languages
This category also include place names, mythology and history, colours, plants and other types of nature. Fictional, historical and characteristic words relating to virtues such as Patience and Mercy. We then move on to name origins which can be classed as Descriptive, Speciality, Nationalities and finally unique (or created baby names).
Place Surnames (Toponymic - origin derived from a place or a region)
- The most common surname origins are derived from actual place names. This is particularly relevant to English surnames. People were given surnames that indicated a specific place name such as London, Ireland, England, Eaton, York or Washington.
- Another type of place surname origins described actual residences, locations or workplaces such as Hall, Smith, Heath, Bridges, Brook, Castle or Woods
Trades, Professions or status related to English Surnames
The following names are derived from Trades, Crafts, Professions or Official and other forms of status. These types of name origins are legion but many of their origins have been lost in time. Here are some examples of common name meanings and their often forgotten origins:
|Polished armour and swords|
|Name Origins: Descriptive Surname Meanings and Origins|
The original meaning of last names were often derived from physical or characteristic attributes. The origins and meanings of many of these descriptive names have also been lost over the years:
|Dark complexion like a Moor|
|A soldier, who carried, or shook, a spear|
Name Origins: Surname origins with family connections!
Last name origins often come from family connections such as Johnson (John's son) Robertson and even Nixon (Nick's son). Similar names in this category are those beginning with Mc, Mac or Fitz such as McDonald or Fitzpatrick. There were also the first names such as William, Phillip, Edward, and Hugh which were changed to create the surnames Williams, Phillips, Edwards, and Hughes. ( From, for example, William's son or Edward's son). These origins were extremely important as adopting such names provided permanent proof of verifiable ties of blood, family and kin. Therefore the history connected to a powerful ancestor and its origin could be passed down the generations. Gaelic name origins beginning with O or Mac immediately identify significant family ties and the heritage of a specific nationality such as Irish or Scottish.
Baby Name Origins - the relevance
Baby name origins are interesting but do not play a decisive role in the selection criteria. Parents tend to select a name and might then have a look at the origins of the name. Name origins do not appear to be a major factor when making the final decisions in relation to choice of names! But it is nice to know that these and the meanings are favourable!
Name Origins: First names, surnames, meanings and origins
We hope that the wealth of information contained on this site will provide you with inspiration and lots of ideas. The Site Map details all of the sections and information available - a comprehensive resource for those making important decisions and finding appropriate names and searching for a name with origins and meanings. The information and advice takes a balanced view of the pleasure and the pitfalls when making these important decisions and researching name origins. A name is incredibly important and people will always be judged by it.